We’re hiring! Join the First Call team as our Communications and Development Coordinator
First Call: BC Child and Youth Advocacy Coalition (First Call) is a non-partisan coalition of over 95 provincial and regional organizations who have united their voices to put children and youth first in BC through public education, community mobilization, and public policy advocacy.
We are seeking a full-time (30 hours a week) Communications and Development Coordinator. Reporting to the Provincial Coordinator and supervising practicum students and volunteers, the Communications and Development Coordinator provides communications and fundraising coordination and project and research support to First Call.
The First Call Coalition is supported by a small staff of 4 people. First Call’s charitable activities are hosted by the Vancity Community Foundation and as such First Call staff are Vancity Savings Credit Union employees.
- Location: Downtown Vancouver.
- Schedule: Full-time 30 hours/week, choice to work four 7.5-hour days or five 6-hour days. Funding permitting, position may increase to 35 hours/week in 2017.
- Salary: $40, 560 per year, plus a comprehensive benefits package after 3 months probation, 4 weeks annual vacation, annual profit share, and pension after 1 year of service.
- Expected start date: Monday, June 20, 2016
- Communications: Develops and oversees communications planning for the coalition. Coordinates e-communications, web site content, and social media posts. Responds to media inquiries and coordinates interviews. Prepares agendas, notes and minutes for steering committee meetings. Represents First Call at meetings, conferences and speaking engagements as required. Works as part of the First Call team in preparing briefs, articles, correspondence and other documents. Works as part of the First Call team in liaising and consulting with coalition members, government representatives, and the public. Delegates to and supports the Office Coordinator in communications tasks as needed.
- Fund Development: Assists with organizational fundraising by coordinating and implementing donor acquisition and stewardship, the annual fundraising dinner gala, and coalition member and individual fundraising appeals. Delegates to and supports the Office Coordinator in fundraising tasks as needed. Liaises with finance and fundraising departments at the host organization regarding the processing of donations and keeping of donor records.
- Research support: Monitors relevant research and public policy developments affecting children, youth and families by keeping up to date on provincial and federal child and youth sector news and trends, child rights publications and coalition members’ news and activities.
- Project support: Provides leadership, communication and coordination support to campaigns and projects.
- Strategic Planning: Participates in planning and articulating First Call’s strategic goals, objectives and activities.
- Human Resources: Recruits, orients and supervises volunteers and practicum students.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; knowledge of another language an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress and email marketing software (currently Mailchimp); knowledge of InDesign an asset.
- Experience writing for publication, such as op-eds, new releases and briefs.
- Experience with social media tools including Facebook and Twitter.
- Experience in fund development; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge an asset.
- Experience coordinating events; experience coordinating large-scale (500+) events an asset.
- Experience with organization and event promotion/marketing; graphic design skills an asset.
- Knowledge of and interest in child and youth issues.
- Ability to deal diplomatically and effectively with the public and maintain good community relations.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and as part of a team, and to take initiative where appropriate.
- Effectiveness in setting priorities and time management in a busy environment.
- Ability to maintain co-operative, respectful relationships with other staff and volunteers.
- Post-secondary degree in communications, social sciences, fundraising or related field. Equivalent education and experience will also be considered.
- Deadline to apply: Wednesday May 4, 2016 at midnight PST.
- Submissions: Please apply by sending your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications and Development Coordinator”. Please name your resume firstname_lastnameCV and your cover letter firstname_lastnameCL.
- Expected interview dates: First round May 9-13, second round May 16-20.
First Call is an equal-opportunity employer. We particularly welcome applications from members of a visible minority, persons with a disability and aboriginal persons.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact those under consideration. Please no phone calls or emails.
Download a PDF copy of this job description here.