On March 8, 2016, Michelle Stilwell, Minister of Social Development and Social Innovation, responded by email to First Call, West Coast LEAF and Single Mothers’ Alliance BC’s Dec 18, 2015 email regarding Family Maintenance Services (FMS).
In the Dec 18 email we asked whether the Ministry anticipated any changes to the following for the 2016/17 fiscal year:
- the eligibility requirements for FMS
- the specific services provided through FMS
- the current FMS delivery model
- the funding allocation for FMS
Her response included the following:
- The ministry continues to provide funding support for the provision of family maintenance services for all eligible clients.
- With respect to your concerns about clearly and consistently informing clients about the availability of the family maintenance services, the ministry has developed a family maintenance services information sheet, which is available to the public online at www.sdsi.gov.bc.ca/ministry/family-maintenance.html, and information has also been provided on outreach calls with advocacy groups.
- Staff training has been carried out, and step-by-step operating procedures are available to assist staff with the referral process.
- You also expressed concern that the family maintenance services information on the ministry’s website was not easily accessible. Information about family maintenance is available online under Applying for Incoming Assistance on the ministry’s public webpage, and additional links are available on the ministry’s Online Resource.
- Currently, the ministry does not anticipate any service changes for the 2016/17 fiscal year.