Make BC’s Young Children and Families a Priority: A Call to Action builds on First Call’s previously published Framework for Action, a 2008 framework for an integrated, adequately resourced, province-wide early years strategy to ensure healthy child development in BC.
Our conclusion after revisiting the recommendations in the 2008 framework is that they are still relevant, but what is needed now is political will and commitment.
First Call’s Call to Action:
- Advances children’s rights
- Emphasizes the primary role of Families
- Supports communities
- Affirms society’s collective responsibility
- Highlights the importance of culturally safe, respectful and relevant services and supports
- Recognizes our unique relationship with, and responsibilities to, Aboriginal peoples
- Prioritizes the supports and services that are unique to the early years
- Calls on governments to build from existing services
- Affirms that we can afford to make substantial and meaningful public investments
- Provides First Call, other organizations, governments and communities with an advocacy tool
This Call to Action:
- Requires governments to take decisive action to fulfill our collective responsibilities to all BC’s families with young children.
We welcome ideas from First Call partners and early childhood supporters around the province for how the Call to Action can best be shared within your community and put to use to build momentum for government action.
If you would like print copies of the Call to Action, or would like someone to speak to your organization about it’s recommendations, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org